Sunday, December 5, 2010

Packing " what to take & what to leave"

The reality of the trip really  hit home yesterday as I started looking for my  gear and  cleaned the dust off the stored  panniers & put them onto the my bike before it had been an enthralling game, a meditation, and at times an obsession, wondering what to pack and where to pack it. The major departments were Food, Clothing for Summer & Winter,  Sleeping gear, Tent,  Tools, First Aid, Documents and my  Camera. What was needed for the Kitchen part, I  had a gas stove, aluminium saucepan; a tea or coffee pot;  a nonstick frying pan with a folding handle; a stainless-steel plate, bowl and mug; some assorted containers for salt, pepper, sugar, coffee and so on; cutlery, a tin opener with a corkscrew, a  lighter and  an extra water bottle.  Started packing out the cloths and camping gear needed for the trip onto a spare bed.  What do  you take and were do you pack it was the question. How many Tee shirts short and long sleeve one's do you pack, will we be able to wash on a regular basis, space is so  very limited, to much weight then the bike becomes hard to handle, putting it on the side stand is a major problem and if it falls over, how do you pick it up without putting your back out.???
How can one anticipate the unknown? Preparing for the journey was like living in a dream. More than once I realized the absurdity of what we were doing. The whole point and beauty of the trip was not knowing what would happen next, but I could not help myself striving to work it all out in advance. My mind started racing ahead and I conjured up out of my imaginary future, showing me crossing the Andes; Me crossing  the Atacama desert; Me getting blown away by the very high winds down in Patagonia, (Tony heard of winds in excess of 200km's Wow). Me lost in the Colombian Jungle; Me riding over the side of a mountain doing  "The Road Of Death" on a bicycle;
The mystery deepened the more I tried to think  of what next. So I just went on with the packing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home