Friday, December 3, 2010

Honda preparation for the trip

Hello all,
After fitting the panniers and topbag, we took it into the Karoo for a weekend on dirt roads, making sure everything stayed in place, which it did.
Now the final service, oil change etc. I noticed that it did use a bit of oil, nothing to worry about, but decided to put on new rings and ordered them from England. If they came in time I would replace them, otherwise not. Low and behold, within 5 days the spares were delivered to my front door! So, I started stripping the bike, took the heads off and found the exhaust valves in a bad way and ordered two new ones (from Jo'burg) and should be here on Monday 6.12.2010. Took out pistons, checked the rings, which were still well within specs. After cleaning the pistons I found the rear piston had a crack in it!!! Now I start getting nervous and not because of the sheepskin on my saddle! Luckily Jo'burg has one in stock and will arrive on
Monday as well. So hopefully the plot should be going again on Thursday. Just as well I wanted to replace the rings, otherwise the piston would not have lasted another 5000 km!!
Cheers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home